THE IRON MAVERICK presented by GolfCrusade.com
Updated: Sep 28, 2019
Mike Strantz changed the game of golf course architecture forever and for the better. It is in his honor and in celebration of the rebirth of one of his original works of art that we gather for 36 holes of battle and infinite fun!
Two years ago, like many of the approximately 800 courses across the U.S. that faced the same fate in the last decade, Royal New Kent and Stonehouse Golf Clubs closed. It's sad to see any course close, but when one (or two) were designed by Strantz - who only built seven original courses - it stings so much more.
Not having the opportunity to play them upon learning of their closures felt like a kick in the gut (or worse). After all, Stonehouse was named Golf Digest's Best New Upscale Course in 1996. RNK followed with the same honor the following year and Strantz' star began to rise!
So when we got wind of new life being pumped into Royal New Kent earlier this year, we started making plans to visit the Richmond/Williamsburg, VA area almost immediately. However, when we heard that Stonehouse was also on the road to a rebirth, we started thinking bigger.
And while Stonehouse may take a little longer to come around into playing shape, it won't deter the dream!
We recruited a couple foursomes and scheduled a golf trip. However, it wasn't enough. It needed more than just a few buddies getting together to play a little golf.
From there, an event started to take shape. We say event because we didn't want it to be a regular old 'tournament'.
Events are fun. Events are big. Events are things people talk about.
The last one is where the conversation turned into a plan. We only had one day that we could play it - so we were obviously wanted to use as much daylight as possible. Think of it as a golf endurance test - an Ironman if you will - but on a course built as tough as iron itself by a guy who was known as 'The Maverick' of golf course design.
Just like that, we have a name for the first Golf Crusade event...
The Iron Maverick!
Enough backstory. This is what we're doing and we hope that you'll join us!
Friday, September 20th | ROYAL NEW KENT GOLF CLUB | Providence Forge, VA 6:54am - Sunrise 7:30am - Check-in and Range Time 8:15am - Welcome & Announcements 8:25am - 'Shotgun Spray' (closest to the pin challenge #1) 8:45am - Morning Shotgun
1:00pm - Lunch
2:00pm - Afternoon Shotgun
6:45pm - 'Firing Squad Finale' (closest to the pin challenge #2)
7:00pm - Awards, Food, Drinks & Fellowship at Strantz Pub 7:08pm - Sunset
We want to thank the management teams of both courses for working with us and supporting this event. While this event is taking place solely at Royal New Kent, the staff at Stonehouse was more than generous and very much wanted to participate. The course is just simply not yet ready for play. We wish them a fruitful growing season this fall in hopes we can return soon to experience it as well.
What does it cost?
- The cost will be $125/player ($500/foursome) and gets you all 36 holes with carts and lunch. The Golf Crusade will keep no funds from this event. All proceeds go to the course or prize pool.
- We'll also have one giant cash contest before the first round and after the PM round. Bring some cash!
What to bring?
- Yourself and your best, most fun golfing buddies. - A camera (or a good one on your phone at least). We want to capture as much content (photos, videos, stories, laughs and good times as possible).
- Your social media apps. We want everyone to share the experience!
How do we register?
- After a foursome registers, sit tight and we'll contact you via email to let you know how and where to pay your $125.
- Space is limited for the Inaugural Iron Maverick to the first 18 teams that register and submit payment to RNK. We're doing this to ensure a great experience for all participants and so we stand the best shot of finishing all 36 holes before dark! This is a difficult course, so the extra space should help pace of play!
Where should we stay if we're from out of town? - RNK is located right off I-64 between Richmond and Williamsburg.
- With the NASCAR race in Richmond that weekend (great idea to stay and do the next night BTW!), rooms are scarce. AirB&B or VRBO are always good options to consider. - However, Williamsburg is about the same distance from RNK. We have secured a block room rate at The Hampton Inn (1880 Richmond Road, Williamsburg, Virginia, 23185) for $99/night. You can book it online by clicking here! Group Name: GOLF OUTING.
I want to play but might not be able to get a foursome together. Can I still play?
- Since space is so limited, preference will be given to foursomes at first. If the field is not filled by August 20th, we'll start building teams of individuals that have pre-registered. Simply fill out the registration, but do not yet call the course to pay. We'll notify you by August 20th to let you know if the event is not at capacity.
More details will be released as we get closer to the event. Follow along on our social channels as well as this site. Email us with any questions at email@example.com. Hope to see you soon!
Dooner & BMAC